Header Ads Widget

My marriage is still suffering as a result of what transpired during the Covid-19 pandemic.

 




My partner was working as a driver for an established company when the Covid-19 outbreak hit Ghana. We hoped the epidemic would not have an impact on his employment. We hoped and prayed that our family would escape uninjured. Fortunately, no one became ill at my house. My partner, on the other hand, was laid off.


We felt devastated when he lost his job, but we had no intention of giving up hope. I am, after all, a nurse. I am a frontline worker, therefore I was not going to lose mine. I stepped in and began handling everything pertaining to us and our three kids.








My husband and I sat together and decided to buy a car so he could work and generate some money for the family. We didn't have the cash to pay for the taxi, so I requested some.


We purchased a taxi, but it had several issues. Every day, something needed to be fixed. He'd take it to work and it'd break down. We spent more time mending the car than he did driving it. Of course, we spent more money on repairs than we earned. Something that was meant to be an asset turned out to be a burden. It was the wisest option to sell it and focus our efforts elsewhere.


It was not an easy task. The profits from the sales were insufficient to cover the cost of the taxi cost. In the end, our efforts to improve our condition only made things worse for us. How many times have we failed to submit our resumes for job applications? How frequently has my husband heard, "Your interview went well, and you will hear from us"? Only to be met with silence. I've lost track of how many times our friends and relatives have informed us, "There is a vacancy at my workplace." I'll see what I can do to help you."








I married a wonderful man. I know he works hard. When I go to work, hubby looks after the kids. He helps out around the house. While I appreciate all he does to help in his own unique manner, I am exhausted. I haven't been happy in my marriage for a long time.


I'm trying to focus on the good, but my modest paycheck is under a lot of strain. We are a family of five that rely on the wages of a nurse. Meanwhile, the salary is not even received in full. They continue to make deductions since I am still paying off the loan I used to purchase the car. I utilise whatever is left over after deductions to take care of the house. This is what drains me. I wish he was bringing something home to help share the burden, but everything is my responsibility right now.








Things are so disastrous that we recently sold our wedding bands to cover a portion of our children's school expenses. In the midst of all of this, my husband is doing his best to remain strong for all of us. As a result, he has not disclosed how his jobless is impacting him. But I know it upsets him a lot. He is the type of man that enjoys providing for us. So the fact that he is unable to do so is having an emotional effect on him.


I recognise this because, after eight years of marriage and three kids, I am familiar enough with my husband to recognise when he is disguising his anguish behind forced grins and humour. On top of that, it's wearing on me as well. I feel his anguish as much as mine. Most significantly, I understand the sorrow of the kids when we are unable to meet all of their requirements, much alone their desires.







I'm concerned that my husband and I will continue to act as if everything is OK so that no one feels awful about the situation, which will harm us in the long term. To be honest, only if our finances improve will things change. This is why I've come to tell you our tale. My hubby is modest and diligent. He is also a quick learner.







He possesses a driver's licence and is able to drive. He also has auto mechanic experience. Aside from this sector, he may do anything as long as it pays him a fair wage. So, if anyone knows of any jobs, perhaps driving-related or not, that they can refer him to, I would be thankful. He learns quickly on the job. We reside in Dansoman, if that helps. Please, if you are able, assist us.


—Nadia


Post a Comment

0 Comments